Friday, September 11, 2009

Commercial Landscapes Continue


Well I found out today, I need to bag about 8 landscapes for this commercial job. On one hand that's great and not so great on another. The problem with landscapes is you can go to a spot and then nature doesn't perform and you have just wasted an evening or worse got out of bed at a crazy hour for nothing. But I'm not doing too bad at the moment, I have gone out three times and come back with an image twice. Tonight it was another one of those rush jobs.
I'm going to be very busy tomorrow I have to get up in the morning and go out and photograph landscapes, then I need to head out with the motorbike and I need to get back, pack my gear and head to Trim for an engagement shot. So it just looks like rushing is my thing these days. Anyway, I decided to clean my motorbike when I got home this evening and I had just finished off the job and I looked up at the sky and there were colours everywhere. So I grabbed the gear and headed out.
I couldn't go far as the sunset had already started so I took a safety location, Skerries harbor, 5 minutes from my house.
I saw the guys in the boat from my car so I stopped where I could and just grabbed everything. I started out wide at 70mm but while the colours were amazing they were lost in the clutter of harbor. I decided to get lower and tighter on them.
I changed location and shot them from the beach and got down as low as I could but they kept moving in the boat and when they moved they got lot in the clutter behind them. I tried calling to direct them but they were not interested. I needed to change my plan.

I ditched the tripod and the ISO 50 approach and went hand held. I could frame them quicker and shoot faster hand held. The drawback ISO800, ouch, but the camera is a 1DS MKii so I knew it wouldn't be so bad. One more in the bag and hopefully I will get a few more in the morning.


Article including images copyright of Gerard Foy Photography.
www.gerardfoy.com

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is a really beautiful photo, Ger. Al

Post a Comment