Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Commercial Landscape in Malahide


Well, it was landscape work tonight. I started this small commercial project for Alan at Image Depot, my printer, a few months ago. He had just landed contract with a government department and they wanted some shots to be displayed in a new building that was under construction. It started out as a few images and I gave them loads. Well apparently they LOVE the work (I've never met them) and they have actually run out of images.
I've had an eye on the sky all day, hoping for once we are going to get a decent evening for photography. My brief for these images is fairly broad - tranquil images taken locally. I decided to try to get something around Malahide tonight. I hoped to arrive home in plenty of time to eat, and get back out into the car. Of course it didn't happen that way. As I was leaving Skerries, the sun was already sinking and I had about a 20 minute drive ahead of me. It is however sinking right behind the windmill in Skerries at the moment, so I'll have my eye on that for an other evening.

I arrived at the estuary in Malahide, the light was beautiful but sinking real fast now and I couldn't find parking. Eventually I found a spot, jumped out of the car took my gear and went for a walk to see if I could see a photograph.
It wasn't long before I saw three boats sitting in the water and the water was perfectly still. I framed the image in my mind and decided upon a mid range zoom setting to compress the scene a little but knew I needed to pay attention to shutter speed, that was what was going to make or break the image. Too slow and there would be movement in the boats.
So, I walked a good bit past the boats, found some rocks, climbed down and setup the tripod.
The contrast range between the sky and the boats was perfect, I could get a bit of detail in the boats and under expose the sky to really bring out those wonderful colours. 6 frames, 3 portrait and 3 landscape and it was over, too dark, that was quick!

I hope this is tranquil enough for them, for someone who normally photographs motorbikes and fast paced weddings it certainly is for me.


Article including images copyright of Gerard Foy Photography.
www.gerardfoy.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment