Thursday, February 4, 2010

Natural Light Portraits in the kitchen

My wife ran out to the shop Saturday lunchtime and left us the task of setting the table. At around the same time I noticed some really harsh sunlight pouring into our kitchen. So what do you reckon I did as soon as she left?

I ran upstairs and grabbed my camera and a reflector of course. This shot took about 30 seconds and shows how easy it can be to capture a good quality image if you understand basic camera operation and you can visualise the final image.

Essentially all that was required was moving Alana far enough away from the glass doors with the sun pouring through them and meter for Alana's face (which started out darker than the sunlight and became darker the deeper she came into the room). As I'm metering for her face and as she moves into the room the darker her face gets and the greater the light intensity difference between her face and the sunlight.

I then added a hand held reflector (yes, I shot this with one hand and yes I was shaking) to fill some of the shadows on the face.

Below another edit.





Article including images copyright of Gerard Foy Photography.
www.gerardfoy.com

1 comments:

micki (MVision Photography) said...

I love your high key look and your model is dead on perfect! :)

Post a Comment